These were so fun to make. I just love having the kiddos in the kitchen with me, their enthusiasm is so inspiring! I thought about making the candy apples, but figured with my kids the caramel would be enjoyed more. I took the easy road and used the caramel candies.
I want to mention this little trick, in order for the caramel to stick to the apple, you must sand or scrape the apple skin. This gets some of the wax off. You can use sand paper(works amazing) or if you don’t have any just use a ridged knife and gently scrape.
- 50 Caramel Candies
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 6 Apples
- 6 Sticks
- sprinkles or toppings of your choice (optional)
- Sand or scrape the apples, rinse with water
- Remove stems and insert sticks
- Line cookie sheet or plate with wax paper
- Unwrap all 50 caramels and put in a microwave bowl
- Microwave for 30 seconds, stir and put in for another 30 seconds if needed, repeat until melted and smooth
- Dip apple in caramel, making sure they are covered thoroughly
- Immediately add sprinkles/toppings if desired
***The Caramel will cool making it harder to dip, so make sure you don’t take too long(which can be tricky with kids, I realize)***